Monovalent's Moderator Application

Welcome to Vale - Survival & Towny Server!
Vale is a 1.16.3 Towny survival server with nearly limitless possibilities! As a player you can craft custom enchants, build amazing structures, and play survival with special items, tools, and more with no lag. Work together with your friends and build the best town, base, or building in the game, while becoming the richest player in a competitive economy.
Register now

Monovalent

#BlameVic
Crafter
May 30, 2014
USA
Username: Monovalent

What is your Minecraft username? Monovalent

What age bracket are you in? 18+

What is your current rank on Vale? Moneyer/Novice (With donations up to Wyvern, as well as a Creative build possibly eligible for Artisan queued for rankup.)

Have you been an active participant within the Vale Community for a minimum of two months? Yes, and no. I was a consistent member of Craftblock from 2014-2016, and an on and off player until the transition to Vale. I have been very active (3+ hrs/day) since October 8th, 2020. I recently discovered the new IP, and am ready to get back on track.

Why do you want to be a Vale Moderator? I want to join the team to offer assistance and experience where I can, and to help contribute to Vale's growth and player retention. I see too many people hop off the server shortly after joining, and want to do what I can to make sure as many people hang around as we can.

Give us three reasons of why you would be a suitable moderator and why we should select you to become part of the staff team. Foremost, I consider myself to have decent tact and ability to handle less than stable situations, and have even been able to turn potential rule breakers around in the recent past (though, mostly in other communities) before things escalated too far. Where it's needed, I can offer experience in server technical side things, from crash logs, to plugins, to configuration-- more of an Admin thing, but I figured it was relevant here. I also feel like I have a sort of empathy with players and people, and tend to also understand why people might do things.

How do you think you've demonstrated moderator qualities in your time with Vale? I've at least helped settle two chat altercations in my short time back, and I helped Victor_st diagnose at least one issue pertaining to double posting in Creative chat. I also requested a staff member to delete town-unauthorized shulker boxes placed by a member that was recently banned.

On a scale of 1-5, how knowledgeable do you believe you are with regard to Vale rules and regulations? I'd set myself as a 4-5. I've been around since, actually, March or so 2014, and many of the rules have stayed strong and steady since then. I feel confident in my ability to enforce them.

What timezone do you live in? ET (GMT-5(-4)), ~New York City

How much time and when would you say you are able to dedicate to the Craftblock community throughout the week? I should be able to pepper in a good 14+ hours a week for at least the next two months. I'm usually available from 8 AM to 12 AM ET.

Do you have a Discord account? Yes.

If you answered yes to the previous question, when would you be available to participate in Staff group conversations? The above hours, though preferably after 6PM ET.

Scenario 1 - A player has recently joined the server and has been pretty quiet; not talking too much. When you go to assist them, you notice that they have began to grief someone's building in the wild. How would you handle this situation? I'd check the world, and if Towny, whisper the player a warning, confiscate and destroy any items, and perform a short rollback. I'd inspect their base if possible for any other unlikely items, and remove those as well. I'd direct them to the rules page on site, and monitor at a distance, if they stop. Should they not, I'd temporarily jail them, process items immediately, warn them, roll back and force teleport them to their first home, or spawn should they not have set one yet.

Scenario 2 - While on the server, a player suddenly gets very excited about surviving an ambush of mobs. They talk using multiple lines and or all caps for a single sentence. You notice on the forums that the player has already been warned for similar actions multiple times by another staff member, and has even been muted once before. How would you handle this situation? I'd congratulate them, but remind them that spamming of any kind is against the rules. Since it is spamming without malicious intent, i'd possibly avoid muting them, or mute them for no more than 15 minutes, and would prefer to leave it as a verbal warning and move on. I'd direct them to the rules page on the site, and move on.

Scenario 3 - While on the server, 3 new players join at about the same time. Suddenly, all 3 of them start spamming the chat with rude epithets repeatedly. What actions do you take to quell the situation and stop the chaos in chat? I'd issue mutes ranging from one hour, to twenty four hours to all three individuals, log this, and vanish-- beginning to monitor them, if they remain as a group to ensure they don't break other rules of the server afterwards, potentially for an ongoing period.

Scenario 4- While online you come across another staff member handling a situation. The players are being rather rude and continue to cause trouble while the other staff member is attempting to handle the issue. What would you do in this situation? I'd calmly ask them to relax, and I'd take a look at any related chat logs leading up to the outburst. I'd direct them to both the rules and to the forums if the problem happens to be with the staff member in question. If possible, I'd offer my help as an alternative, and see the issue resolved quickly. If it's relevant, I will also link them to the (currently public) staff SoP and Limitations, which should give them an idea of what staff is and isn't allowed to do what tasks.